A good start in education is vital not only to life outcomes but to the health of our nation and our kind as a whole. For some, a foundational education is harder to achieve than it should be, harder than many of us realise… and that’s where our new promotion comes in:
As part of the Mandela day celebrations this month we at Bargain Books are teaming up with Starting Chance, a non-profit organization that focuses on early child development and is committed to giving every child a solid start on their educational journey. Of course, being booksellers, we know that books and all organizations that promote and champion reading play a big part in building a child’s love of learning and school readiness, so we thought it would be a good idea to get involved.
That’s why we have pledged to match whatever is raised by our customers between the 1st and 18th of July. So, for every rand that you donate, we will donate one too.
Here’s what’s happening:
In honour of the 67 years that Nelson Mandela spent fighting for human rights, universal justice and equality, our aim is to raise R67,000 or more for Starting Chance. Just to reiterate, whatever you choose to kindly donate toward this good and important cause, we will match!
When you opt to donate, there are a couple of ways you can do it.
- At the counter, when you go to pay for your books, you can opt to send a set amount of either R10 or R67.
- Via SnapScan using the QR code on the artwork above, which you will find in our stores, you can donate whatever you wish.
And here are some facts about Starting Chance and the great work they do:
- Every rand donated goes directly to educating kids, supporting teachers and fieldworkers, and building schools.
- All the teachers, principals and field workers supported by Starting Chance are local.
- Many of their training programs are aimed at teachers in townships.
- Starting Chance has built 6 schools so far.
- Starting Chance helps approximately 1750 kids to begin their education each year.
For more about this organisation, their programmes and their work, please visit startingchance.org.za
We hope that you will join us in celebrating the legacy of this great man by helping build a brighter future for children throughout the country. It’s a great way to make a difference.
As the man himself once said:
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world”
We look forward to raising as much as we can. Our best to all of you.